Giz has taken a leading role in ensuring that State Governments are held accountable for their actions.
This work has included parliamentary inquiries into:
- The Department of Education.
- The need for a Children’s Commissioner.
- The Balga Works program.
- The police raid on the Sunday Times.
Giz currently chairs the Standing Committee on Estimates and Financial Operations.
Giz has also pushed for reform on key accountability issues including:
- Legislation to regulate the activities of paid lobbyists.
- Caps on election expenditure to remove the dependence of political parties on corporate donations.
- The establishment of a Judicial Commission.
- A Second Commission on Government to audit the implementation of the first Commission on Government and consider additional measures needed to prevent corrupt, illegal or improper conduct by public officials.
To see the Greens WA Policy on Open and Honest Government click here.